Tuesday, February 22, 2011

You Blog ah??

Chinese New Year gathering at a good friend's place. Yes it is that usual get together of old friends... of familiar faces and definitely some new faces...

After dinner, over a drink or two... all the newbies will try to mingle and blend in with the rest who look real snug and comfy, in fact a little too comfortable that we kind of blend into the friend's furniture.

And off late, as I was telling my friend these new faces are really young. In fact a little too young...in fact are they even allowed out this late??? :)

OK OK one of my resolutions this year is not to be cruel. To be a little friendlier. Smile more.

So I allowed myself to talk to one of these newbies... started with the usual casual exchange of names and what do you do's.... and the usual discussion of how we know the host... etc etc...
then after a very good 20 mins into the conversation... and the "we must definitely hang out... and I will call you the next time I attempt to cook Nasi Lemak..."
the question popped...
"YOU BLOG???"

Suddenly all my new year's resolutions flew out of the window. I recoiled... yuppers...I kinda huddled back into my shell... how do I answer that?

Yes. I blog. What's it to you?

No. I dont. (and lie...)

Yes. I Blog. But dont ask me what it is.
Cos I am not ready to share it... I dont know you that well.
But it is over the www... it is public property...
hmmm but you gotta find it first...

Sigh.

Has our Blog been turned into a Name Card...? A really personal name card that follows our every introduction? What happened to the "getting to know you" process that happens over a period of time? And is it proper eitquette to ask a person for their blogsite upon the first meeting? And what is the right way to ask so that the request can be turned down politely too?

Something like
"would you like to come up for a drink?"

"Sure I would love to."

or

"No. I have to get going. Got an early meeting tomorrow."

See? Simple and polite.

2 comments:

JennZuriel said...

I remember u ask abt my blog the first time we met...but then again that was during an interview so maybe it was to see how I write..Lols..

blue bee said...

oh yeah definitely to see how u tink!!! ahahah